Monday, October 27, 2008

Socratic Seminar and my future . . . they're related?!?!?!

Okay so our class has big issues with having everyone being involved with our discussions. Mr. Dye asked us how could we make it so EVERYONE participated in our discussions. I personally think that the reason only five people in our whole class comment is because no one else has any motivation to comment. They think "So what? What does this have to do with my life? Why should I care?" so they just stay silent and bored.
It's really your decision to comment or not, but the thing is, if you ask questions and add the conversation and THINK then you'll learn more. You just have to look within yourself and say "Okay, what do I want to be when I grow up?". I'll just use myself as an example for this because we already talked about it, so I want to be an oceanographer (underwater photographer). How in the world does Socratic Seminar help me with that? At first, most people would think, absolutely nothing. It seems completely irrelevant at first glance, but in reality it's not. It's completely relevant. How? It's all about point of view.
The photography world is very competitive and if you want to be that one famous photographer for National Geographic out of the hundreds of people that applied then you're going to have to be unique. You're going to have to show them that you can take a picture of an angle fish in a point of view that's never been taken before. Amazingly, Socratic Seminar can help you with establishing that point of view. You have to figure out how that picture relates to history, and you can't do that without knowing your history, right?
So next time you're in class and decide that the bell write has nothing to do with you and it just bores you to death, think harder. Do something different. THINK. Comment! Find out how what you're learning now relates to what you want to be when you grow up! You'll be surprised at exactly HOW relevant it is.

No comments: